Monophonic Note Layer¶
A new monophonic note layer (MNL) is necessary because Sonic Visualiser does not implement two aspects that are crucial to Tony
- interactive update from pitch track, i.e. user change in the note track leads to re-estimation of note pitch from pitch track
- editing capabilities, in particular
- continuous pitch (i.e. not just integer MIDI pitches)
- fluid note boundary editing
From experience, the user interactions that are required the most are (most important first)
- splitting of notes (two separately sung notes, usually of the same pitch, auto-recognised as one)
- merging of notes (one perceived note auto-recognised as two)
- adjust start and/or end time of notes (rarely in the same direction!)
- removal of erroneously detected pitches
- addition of undetected pitches
- correction of octave errors
The MNL should cater for these.
George and Matthias have been brainstorming, and these actions seem to be a sensible choice.
- clicking a note selects
- double-clicking a note splits the note
- double-clicking a note boundary merges the two adjoining notes
- moving boundary handle to lengthen note pushes adjacent note's boundary
- moving boundary to shorten the note creates space (rest) between the notes
- moving boundary to duration 0 removes note
To make this work nicely, maybe, rests need handles, too.