VersionControlProblems » History » Version 2
Version Control Problems¶
Some problems that complete beginners face when trying to create and work with repositories using current version control systems.
- Puzzlement over "recommended" trunk/branches/tags structure
When instructing people how to create new projects, it's arguably simplest to ignore this and go for a structure that places them directly in the project directory. But that still results in confusion when checking out other people's projects that do have a difference between root URL and trunk URL.
- Difference between repository and working copy
Not a problem for many people, but some seem to find the terminology confusing
- Requirement to update/merge/resolve before commit if someone else has modified the repository
A good user interface can make this workflow clearer
- Forgetting to "svn add" new files
User interface should make a prominent note of files that have been created since the last commit
- Forgetting to use svn when renaming or removing files
- Admin help required for corrupted working copy because of sensitivity to changes in .svn directories (reported)