Evidence Promoting Good Data Management » History » Version 76
Evidence Promoting Good Data Management¶
- Evidence Promoting Good Data Management
If you have any additional examples that you would like to share, please email them to: rdm.c4dm at gmail.com
BBC Domesday Project¶1986 Project to do a modern-day Domesday book (early crowd-sourcing)
- Used “BBC Master” computers with data on laserdisc
- Collected 147,819 pages of text and 23,225 photos
- Media expiring and obsolete technology put the data at risk!
- Required emulation of software
- Images restored from original masters
- Don't use obscure formats!
- Don't use obscure media!
- Don't rely on technology being available!
- Do keep original source material!
Google images for BBC Domesday
Piwowar, Heather A., Roger S. Day, and Douglas B. Fridsma. Sharing detailed research data is associated with increased citation rate.
PLoS One 2.3 (2007): e308.