Plan for Software Carpentry 2012 Boot Camp on Version Control¶
To explain version control to researchers who have never used it before, or who want to understand it better.
Two hour interactive live workshop, using EasyMercurial and the Mercurial command-line tool.
The basic plan is: # presentation introduction to version control in general (using either whiteboard drawings or a PowerPoint presentation) # long worked example in which basic topics of version control are worked through using EasyMercurial and then some more advanced topics are returned to using the command-line tool # closing remarks talking about other tools, other topics of interest etc
- A presentation introduction to the concept of version control. Why is it useful? What can go wrong without it? How does a version control system work? History + Collaboration
- Check that participants have EasyMercurial installed and working
- Worked example, part 1: Working by myself
- We will be working on a recipe for fish stew for a future recipe book
- Make a new directory, create a text file
fishstew.txtin it, start adding an ingredients list, save **